If you’ve been wondering how to awaken or heal your third eye chakra, you may be seeking out crystals to help aid you in your chakra energy work.
Some of the best third eye chakra crystals are amethyst, lapis lazuli, moonstone, fluorite, blue aventurine, and sapphire.
The third eye chakra sits right between your eyebrows in the center of your forehead, and meditation with crystals can help you open or heal your third eye, hone your psychic abilities, increase your mental clarity, and much more.
How can I use crystals to open my third eye chakra?
The most common way to incorporate crystals into your 3rd eye chakra work is meditation with a crystal laying directly on your third eye chakra. If having a crystal on your face is distracting, consider making a circle of crystals around you or meditating in a hot bath and adding water-safe crystals to the water.
Water-safe crystals can also be used to make charged water – add the crystals you’d like to work with to a bowl or jar of water and set the water in the moonlight or the sunlight for a bit. You dab crystal charged water over your third eye to aid in your energy work or add a splash to your bathwater.
The color indigo represents the third eye chakra, so crystals in the blue-purple range are the natural choice for third eye energy work. Some of the best 3rd eye chakra crystals to work with are:
- Amethyst – helps release energy blockages, increases intuition, protects from nightmares or negative energy, and aids in dreamwork or astral projection. Amethyst is water-safe and can be used in a meditative bath.
- Lapis Lazuli – encourages our self-awareness, reveals inner truths, and calms the mind.
- Moonstone – reduces emotional stress, aids healing, cleanses negative energy, and promotes self-reflection.
- Fluorite – enhances mental clarity, increases intuition, blocks psychic manipulation, and balances energies.
- Blue Aventurine – purifies the chakras, enhances psychic abilities, calms anxiety, and brings spiritual clarity. Aventurine is water-safe.
- Sapphire – focuses the mind, restores balance, releases stress and tension, and enhances psychic abilities. Sapphire is water-safe, but be extra careful not to wash valuable sapphires down the drain!
If your crystals feel heavy or dull, you might want to charge them and/or cleanse them before using them in third eye energy work.
Crystals can be charged in sunlight or moonlight (the full moon is particularly powerful for charging crystals) and they can be cleansed using vibrations from singing bowls or chanting, sacred smoke from a cleansing herb such as rosemary, or even buried in the earth for deep healing and retrieved at a later date.
Charged crystals can also be used in other spiritual or meditative practices, such as tarot readings or other kinds of divination to help focus your readings on your third eye chakra work.
What essential oils are good for the third eye Chakra?
Essential oils are a powerful tool for supporting the third eye and can be used as an anointing oil directly on the third eye chakra, diffused during third eye energy work, or inhaled with a personal diffuser.
Rosemary, sandalwood, frankincense, vetiver, roman chamomile, and cypress are good for the third eye Chakra.
Make sure to dilute your essential oils in a carrier oil such as jojoba oil or sweet almond oil if you’ll be applying it directly to your skin. Essential oils can also be used in a meditative bath or added to crystal charged water.
- Rosemary – promotes a state of high vibration, protects from negative energy, and brings spiritual and mental clarity.
- Sandalwood – purifies sacred spaces, calms the mind, and helps achieve a deeper meditative state.
- Frankincense – purifies sacred spaces, cleanses negative energy, strengthens spiritual resolve, and promotes healing.
- Vetiver – balances emotions, calms the mind, promotes restful sleep, increases focus on the present moment.
- Roman Chamomile – enhances meditation, protects against psychic attacks, calms a restless body or mind, banishes negativity.
- Cypress – brings deeper spiritual understanding, aids concentration, calms negative emotions and balances life energy.
What does the third eye chakra represent?
The third eye chakra – or Anja, in Sanskrit – is the mystical center of perception, intuition, psychic power, insight, and imagination. Awakening can bring spiritual clarity, allowing us to use our third eye to “see” things as they truly are, rather than how they appear to be in the material world.
Some who have opened their third eye claim to have developed clairvoyance had out-of-body experiences or received spiritual visions.
Third eye energy work can complement many spiritual practices and religious beliefs. In Buddhism, the third eye is referred to as the eye of consciousness or the eye of knowledge and is symbolic of enlightenment, and Hindus consider the third eye to be a direct link to the ultimate truths of the universe.
Some Christian mystics believe that the third eye can provide a more direct connection to the light of God, believing that the biblical passage “The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light” may refer to the third eye rather than a physical eye.
Third eye chakra energy work can be a wonderful addition to your meditation practice or your voyage of self-exploration. Consider what essential oils or crystals might amplify your intentions and help control your limiting beliefs and negative thoughts.
Dreamwork can be a natural complement to exploring the third eye chakra – as your intuition and perception improve you might find that it’s easier to interpret your dreams or achieve a lucid dream state. Third eye chakra crystals often help achieve restful sleep and can be put under your pillow to help continue your third eye chakra energy work in the dream world.
If you don’t keep a dream journal, now might be the time to start. Above all, try to trust your intuition – this is a journey towards inner knowing that takes a lifetime, don’t be afraid to explore different meditative and spiritual techniques and figure out what works for you.
Here are some of our favorite tools
To see all of our most up-to-date recommendations, check out this resource that we made for you!